Monday, August 19, 2013

FFXIV Open Beta





Freaking 3102...

That's how a good portion of my phase 4 went. Sat night around 9 PM I got booted and was not able to log in until Mon after maintenance, 12:30 AM. I stayed up so I could log in and get myself to an inn, even though I had work in the morning.

Unfortunately I had forgotten to load Fraps, so the whole time I was thinking I was taking screenshots, I really wasn't :(

But after I logged on after maintenance, I took a couple screens using the in game screen capture. The horrible 5+ second lag is gone!!!! However, there seems to be a built-in cooldown that prevents you from taking screenshots too quickly. Thanks to Aque for posting how to further maximize the HUD space by resizing the UI elements. http://aquelia.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-ui-and-hud-scaling-guide/

4800x900 AMD Eyefinity mode. Using 3x Dell U2312HM
HUD with Eyefinity. I definitely prefer 3x1 setup in landscape vs 3x1 setup in portrait mode

For comparison, in phase 3 I went with 3x1 portrait 2700x1600. Although the screenshot doesn't show, the monitor bezels are very noticeable while in this mode, and I would not recommend it.

Here's hoping that next weekend will not see any server problems. Won't be beta anymore, so I'd be really upset if 3102 shows it's ugly face again. All-the-same, I don't wanna see 90000 or any other major login errors.

4 comments:

Ascule said...

Wow, so you're running 3 monitors at 1600x900 each? The widescreen one is suuuuuuuper wide xD Do you actually play with the chat and log stuff on another screen like that? I figured that the two extra screens would be mainly for extra immersion... or maybe putting the map on another screen.

Bezels drive me nuts in gaming x.x

Vanh said...

For desktop, I go the full 5760x1080. When it comes to gaming, my 1 GB 7850 holds me back from going the full res. I've tried Bioshock Infinite and Torchlight and performance is pretty bad. So to get playable frame rates I have to drop the res down to the next highest, which is 4800x900.

That's why I was asking about your 7970, since the 7900s automatically come with 3 GB and can handle the larger res. Prices on the 7900 are very attractive right now, but I'm going to hold out until the next line of AMD cards come out. Maybe they'll fix the screen tearing by then /crosses fingers

For now I'm playing with the chat windows to the side, but I was finding that I'd sometimes ignore the chat being off on the sides, so I may bring some of that back into the center screen. Battle log is completely unnecessary as I don't even look at it XD I wish that you could decrease the chat font size =/ As for map, I use a small portion of the right hand screen for it, so it doesn't take up too much real estate.

Usually my attention is on the main screen, so that's where I stack most of the UI elements. The sides are for my peripheral, and to put stuff that I don't want cluttering up my main view.

Ascule said...

Ya, the 7970 can definitely handle your resolution. It's handling my 2560x1600 monitor at 60+ FPS, and your 2700x1600 triple is only a bit larger than that. How much is a 7970 these days anyway? I was half thinking about CrossFire, but annoyed that you have to run fullscreen mode for it.

But the screen tearing is a huge turnoff D: The new cards are around the corner anyway, probably out by the end of the year latest.

I actually have to increase my chat font size... PPI is denser >.< I think the default font size was the smallest already, but did you try scaling the chat box UI down? I didn't play with scaling yet.

Vanh said...

7970 for ~$310 after rebate
7950 boost for ~220 after rebate
7950 for ~190 after rebate

Can Crossfire any of those with your 7970. I've seen some deals that go lower.

Hmmm, I didn't think about scaling the chat boxes. They weren't scalable from the HUD option (scaling things like hotbar, hp, xp, etc) so I gave up right there. But I didn't think about just clicking on it and scaling it while outside of HUD mode.